Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Dearest Grandma



Beth Jensen Henzi



Ivins, UT - Beth Jensen Henzi passed away in Ivins, Utah May 10, 2009 of Alzheimer's Disease. She was born January 6, 1924 in Cleveland, Utah to Edward Christian Jensen and Maude Eden Jensen. She graduated from North Emery High School in May 1942, where she served as student body president and valedictorian. She joined the U.S. Marine Corps on January 7, 1944 and was honorably discharged January 18, 1946. She married Walter Ernst Henzi December 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Utah. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Beth attended LDS Business College and worked for many years for the IRS in Ogden. Following retirement, the couple moved from Layton to Ivins, where Beth worked for several years as a volunteer tax preparer. Beth is survived by her loving and devoted husband, Walt, (who became her full time caregiver during her long illness) her six children, Diann (Kent) Fryer, Janell (Clay) Perschon, Jill (Randy) Voss, Mark (Anna) Henzi, Cara (Tim) Bradshaw, and Todd (Cindy) Henzi, and twenty grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren. Also surviving are one sister, Leora Leamaster, and three brothers, Edwin "Ted" Jensen, Glen Jensen and Roy Jensen. She was preceded in death by her parents, three sisters, and three brothers. The family would like to thank Nanette Day and the rest of the staff of Applegate Hospice Care and Evon Hunt for their compassionate care and service. Graveside services with military honors will be held at 12:30 p.m. on May 16, 2009 preceding interment at Castle Dale Cemetery, Castle Dale, Utah. Visitation will be from 11:00 to 12:00 p.m. at Fausett Mortuary, 710 N. Center St., Castle Dale, Utah. Arrangements under the direction of Metcalf Mortuary, 435-674-4221

Things I'll always remember about my grandma-


Card games- she taught us to play 'Knock Knock', phase 10 and King's Corner

Bubble bread, crushed ice( Before they got a fridge that would crush ice, I always remember her taking whole cubes putting them in her hand then hitting them with a spoon to crush them herself. Sunny Delight and Trix. Her visor, fanny pack and walking shoes. She was one lady always ready for any adventure! When she was 75 we took her on a water wienie. I think my grandpa just found that out at the funeral. Her sense of humor. She was very sarcastic. Whenever I would make her something she would try it then fall to the floor like she had died, She was very funny.

Her sewing. She would make p.j.'s for us (me, my sisters and all my cousins) and they were awesome. She seriously has this secret place she bought her fabric. It was always extra soft and our nightgowns always had cool pockets in the middle. I loved them! She also made the best blankets.

Her relationship with my grandpa- they had(have) so much love for each other. Even though she had Alzheimer's she never once forgot who Walt, ( my grandpa) was. A few days before she passed away she was able to whisper I love you to him. My cousin took this pics with her phone but it pretty much sums it up right there. He stayed by her until the very end. Before they got married, she made my grandpa sign this 'document' stating her terms for what marriage would be like. It was so funny, but I think my grandpa did a pretty good job fulfilling his part. It included things like cooking dinner (which my grandpa did do the majority of cooking throughout their marriage), helping out with kids etc.Anyway- I feel blessed to have known her, to be her granddaughter and I love her and will miss her.








We will never forget you Grandma. We will miss you and we love you.
One last picture. Emily I took this from your blog but it was just to precious I had to share it.



A day before she passed she got to meet her newest great granddaughter, even though she wasn't awake, she was able to know she was there and grab her little hand.




5 comments:

Thomas Family said...

thanks for sharing that. she is a beautiful lady. what sweet memories you have of her. love you anne!

Lindsay Thacker said...

This post was sooo sweet! What a sweet lady! Anne i must say i am soo impressed with your blogging. You have kept up. I am sooo behind. I dont even know where to start.

Allison said...

What a neat woman your Grandma was!! Your memories you shared were so great, I bet she would be happy to know she was endeared by so many people.

Love Fam said...

Okay that was the sweetest post I have ever read!!! What a neat neat lady!! I want to be a grandma like that!!! I loved it!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Oh, I remember your grandma well (especially with your little reminders). My favorite was the falling over dead when she would try something we'd make. She was a great lady and will be missed.